Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish

Minutes June 2016

Minutes of Meeting of the Dunnet & Canisbay Community Council

Held in Britannia Hall, Dunnet,

On  Monday 20th June 2016 at 7.30 p.m.

Those Present:           Eric Green, Chairman

                                    Bill Mowat, Vice Chairman

                                    Chris Hobson, Treasurer   

                                    Barbara Hiddleston, Secretary

                                    1 Member of the public was in attendance

Apologies:      Apologies were received from Tom Meikle, Ann Shearer, Cllr. Matthew Reiss and Jim Munro, Police Community Liaison officer

1. Minutes of Previous Meeting

1.1.      Eric Green proposed the Minutes of previous meeting held on 23rd May 2016 be accepted, which was seconded by Bill Mowat.

2.  Matters Arising.

2.1       Flooding in Mey and ScarsferryCllr. Reiss and Tom Meikle were in contact regarding this issue, and await information on it and on the signs re Mey House and Nybster Broch.          Action Cllr. Reiss

2.2.      Damaged Shore Path between John O’Groats and the Shell Beach.

2.2.1    Eric Green reported that work on part of this path had been completed and would obtain the invoice.         Action Eric

2.2.2    But work on the other part would require a much fuller repair as a temporary repair would continuously be washed away by high and rough tides.  The access on this part is presently under discussion. 

2.2.3    Cllr. Reiss had contacted Matthew Dent, the Paths Officer, regarding the damaged shore path as being designated a ‘Core Path’, who in turn had spoken to Eric Green and had proved very helpful.

            The result was that Eric Green was informed that a review on the Core Paths in Caithness & Sutherland is currently being carried out, and will cover this part of Caithness in mid-2017, and should have a positive outcome.    

2.3.      CaS  Local Development Plan.

2.3.1    Discussion arose on the proposed comments that Bill Mowat had written on our behalf, which he had circulated.  One issue was that Caithness should benefit more from the side products created from renewable energy such as the MeyGen project.  

2.3.2    Bill Mowat agreed to finalize his Comments, circulate them to each Community Councillor Member, for their opinion, which would be included, and he would send them to Highland Council on our behalf, noting that the closing date is up to the 15th August, 2016, 2 weeks before their final report   is completed at the end of August.                                                    Action Bill

2.3.3    Eric Green agreed to summarize these comments, and put them onto our Face Book page to keep  the Community informed, get them involved and ask for their thoughts.                                  Action Eric

2.4.      Broad Band Connection. Discussions with Digital Scotland Community Broadband continued to be in hand and would be brought forward to the next meeting.                                        Action Eric

2.5.      Barbara Hiddleston reported having received a reminder email from Joe Smee -             joe@sc.localenergyscotland.org - the representative of the Community & Renewable Energy      Scheme (CARES) which funded Dunnet & Canisbay Development Plan for use of the windfarm money requesting contact to review input, which Eric Green agreed to follow up.        Action Eric

3.         Chairman’s Report

3.1.      Moray Firth Radio Cash for Kids Challenge – seeking The Happiest Community. Eric Green had received a letter from MFR regarding the launching of their new challenge for their charity Cash for Kids. They are keen to find the happiest and closest community in our area.

3.2.      If selected as one of the 5 finalists, there will be tasked with bringing together their community to find raise for MFR Cash for Kids over a 3 week period.  The team that raises the most money will be crowned MFR’s happiest Community and awarded a Street Party to celebrate, hosted by the MFR presenters, and all the funds raised by each Community will remain in the Community.

3.3.      More information can be found on their website – www.mfr.co.uk/cashforkids and if interested to register online at mfr.co.uk/happystreet, and tell them about your Community.

3.4.      Eric Green to put this information on our Face Book page.                                                              Action Eric

4.         Treasurer’s Report.

 4.1.1   Chris Hobson reported the current balance remained at £1,590.75.

4.1.2    The Accounts for the previous year had been presented to the Ward Manager, Alex McManus, and await their final acceptance. Once approved, we shall receive £1,194.83.

4.2       The Secretary reported that we would receive £800 from the Village Officer’s Scheme, which was now open for application. 

5.         Secretary’s Report. 

5.1.1    Community Police Report.  Barbara Hiddleston had circulated this Police Report sent by Jim Munro, which was noted. 

5.1.2    It was also noted that Jim Munro was no longer available to attend our meetings, due to pressure of work.

5.2.      Application from Village Officer Funds.

5.2.1    Barbara Hiddleston reported that she had received two queries from the public regarding the cutting    of grass at Nybster Broch, which she had circulated earlier, proposing its twice yearly cutting, which was accepted by Bill Mowat. This decision had been duly passed on and cutting was being organised.

5.2.2    She had also received a request from a member of the public regarding cutting the whins along the  Bank Road in Dunnet and proposed this be accepted which was agreed by all those present.  The invoice would duly be sent to the A. of C.C.C. who deal with the Village Officer Funding. 

                Action Barbara

5.2.3    She also proposed that funding for grass outside Britannia Hall, Dunnet to be trimmed be applied for once it was carried out, which was also accepted by all those present. 

5.3.      Request from MSP Gail Ross. In response to a request from the office of our MSP regarding a contact e-mail address, the Chairman and Secretary agreed to put theirs forward.               Action Barbara

5.4.      NHS Caithness District Partnership Public Meeting. This is to be held this Friday 24th June 2016 at Town Hall, Wick, from 10 a.m. -12. Items on the Agenda are Child Care Mapping, Poppy Scotland’s Welfare Services, NHS new Area Manager Introduction and Self-Managed Development Fund final update.  Eric Green intended to attend as our representative, but it is noted that all members are invited to attend.

6.         Planning – Weekly Report.  This was noted.

7.         A.O.B. 

7.1       Eric Green reported that he had been approached by the John O’Groat Development Trust regarding funding for two defibrillators for public use in their area. There was a shortfall of about £450 from funding they had already received, which required to be used as soon as possible.   He proposed that we fund the shortfall, which was agreed by all those present and would find out the exact amount.                                                                                                                                                    Action Eric

7.2.1    Cause of Public Concern - The member of public in attendance raised the issue of the long grass from   the Castle of Mey to Whitebridge pointing out that it was a danger to the public.  It had caused an   accident involving a foreign Tourist last year, and brought it to the attention of our members. 

7.2.2    After discussion, Eric Green agreed he would raise this matter with the Ward Manager, Alex McManus.                                                                                                                                 Action Eric

8.  Date of Next Meeting.

To be held on Monday 25th July at Mey Hall, Mey at 7.30 p.m.

N.B. This date was subject to confirmation.  The meeting was put forward to Monday 22nd August.

 

Click for Map
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement