Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish

Minutes of the Dunnet and Canisbay Community Council meeting held in the Seaview Hotel, John O’ Groats on Thursday 11 February 2010 at 7.30pm
 
Present                                                
John Green – Chair                                           
Irene Hendrie - Secretary                                                                       
Eric Green - Member
Chris Hobson - Member
David Bremner – Cllr
Paul Castle – Countryside Ranger
Allan Leech - Heritage Great Britain
Ewan Kearney – Natural Retreats
Ian McKee – GLM Architects
Carol Gunn – HIE
Hilary Budge – HIE
Nick Scroggie - HIE
Billy Steven
Tina Irving
Joyce Wilson
Andrew Mowat
George Honeyman
Llewella Honeyman
Donald Gordon
Apologies:  Keith Muir   Alex Macmanus
 
The chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.
  1. John O’ Groats Development
Allan Leech explained that Heritage Great Britain was joining forces with Natural Retreats to bring five star accommodation to John O’ Groats. He outlined plans to extend and refurbish the existing hotel into apartments and build luxury holiday lodges along the west perimeter of the site. GLM had been appointed architects for the project and specialised in the restoration and development of old buildings. They were keen to have the planning process completed by the end of the year and to secure the roof, avoiding any further damage to the property. The development could also include a visitor centre which could be built adjacent to the last house. Drawings of the proposed development were circulated and received a very positive reaction. HIE would be investigating the possibility of improving the footpaths both east and west of the development, creating a focal point and having some public art commissioned for the area.
 
David Bremner did not take part in the discussion or comment on the proposed planning application relating to the development.
 
  1. Minutes of the last meeting were adopted.
 
  1. Matters arising from the minutes
JohnOGroatsPlayPark
The application to Go Play had not been successful. There would be further rounds but it was unclear if another attempt should be made.  Alternative funding sources could be explored.         
Action:  John Green to invite Koreen MacDougal to the next meeting                                                   
 
 
 
Day Care The Canisbay and Dunnet Day Care Group had made a request to Highland Council for £70,000 capital funding. They were awaiting a response.
 
Grit bins
These had been delivered to some villages in the community. Chris Hobson asked that the one in Dunnet village be moved to the west side road with one additional bin                              
Action Secretary to request this  
 
  1. Treasurer’s report
The treasurer was not in attendance
 
  1. Beach cleans
Paul Castle would contact Caithness Machinery Ring to obtain a quote for the cleaning of DunnetBeach. The secretary would obtain a quote for cleaning Milton beach near Freswick.
Action Paul Castle and secretary to obtain quotes
                                                                 
  1. Any other business
Litter bin at layby
Joyce Wilson asked if a litter bin could be placed in the layby on the road at the west end of Dunnet beach.      
Action Secretary to enquire
 
Walking festival
Tina Irving had sent details of the Walkers are Welcome scheme and hoped to have Dunnet included as the first participant in Caithness. She would arrange to have a director of the organisation attend a future meeting and invite David Barclay and a representative from SNH. The meeting was scheduled for Wednesday 5th May in Dunnet Hall. The walking festival was taking place 1 to 8 May 2010.
 
Roads issues in West Side Dunnet
Heavy construction type traffic had increased with delivery vehicles and the usual traffic also increasing. The single track road was very popular with walkers, cyclist and horse riders and was becoming dangerous. A footpath was needed to make the road safer.
Action Chris Hobson to write to the roads department through the secretary.
 
Request for donation
John Green had received a request for funding from Brenda Herrick on behalf of the Caithness Windfarm Information Forum. They had given evidence at the Stroupster Wind Farm inquiry and mounted a very successful campaign opposed to the windfarm.   It was agreed that the community council should remain neutral on such issues and would not make a contribution to any campaign, for or against wind farms. 
Action Secretary to write to CWIF
 
 
Next Meeting
Mey hall Wednesday 10 march 2009 at 7.30pm

Click for Map
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement