Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish

April 2009

Minutes of the Dunnet and Canisbay Community Council meeting held in Canisbay hall on Wednesday 8 April 2009 at 7.30pm.
 
 
Members Present                                              
John Green – Chair                          
Chris Hobson - Vice Chair                                                                
Irene Hendrie – Secretary                                                    
Eric Green                                                      
Apologies                                                                                                                   
Keith Muir – Treasurer
David Flear
Mary Legg     
Present        
Alex Macmanus                 
 
  1. John Green welcomed everyone to the meeting
 
  1. Minutes of the last meeting were adopted  Proposed John Green Seconded Irene Hendrie
                                                               
  1. Matters arising from the minutes
 
Auckengill - speeding traffic
A survey of traffic had recently been conducted on the main road near Auckengill. It had shown the highest speed recorded as 61 miles per hour which was just slightly over the limit. In view of this, there seemed little point in conducting another survey.
 
Broch Centre
Helen Allan had confirmed that the centre in Auckengill was due to open mid May. The next meeting of the CC would be held in Auckengill with Pat Buchanan and Dr Heald invited to give a talk about the centre
Action Alex Macmanus to speak to Pat Buchanan
 
Planning applications weekly list
The John O’ Groat Journal had confirmed it would not be able to print a weekly list of all planning application in Caithness.
 
Archaeological sites
Highland Council archaeologist Andrew Puls had explained that watching briefs were undertaken if there is a risk of uncovering archaeological remains during ground works of a development. The works were normally restricted to the footprint of the development (to include services, access roads etc). There was no set distance in which he would ask for a watching brief - it was a professional judgement and a number of factors were considered, i.e. what archaeological remains were known in an area (including what age, type and concentration), the type of land, current and past land uses, topography, likelihood of an area attracting previous occupation, the results of previous archaeological investigations etc.
 
  1. John O Groats development
HIE had awarded the contract for preparing the John O' Groats Master Plan to GVA Grimley. The CC had not been informed by HIE of the appointment or been contacted by the company itself. The slow progress and lack of stakeholder involvement was very disappointing.
Action Secretary to contact Roy Kirk
 
  1. Dunnet beach clean
An application for funding was still being considered by the Dounreay Communities fund.   Permission would be sought again from both landowners involved. Castletown CC had not offered any help toward funding the clean. Mary Legg would arrange dates with the contractor.                  
Action Alex Macmanus to arrange skips, bags etc
Secretary to contact Castletown CC
 
 
  1. Any other business
 
Road works
It was pleasing to see that several road improvements had been completed in the community, all to a high standard.   A culvert was collapsing near Charleston farm between Barrock and Gills. A BT cable was lying on the surface at Gills and it was unclear who to contact at BT.
Action Alex Macmanus to report culvert collapse and find contact for reporting BT cable fault
 
Brough Pier and St John Pool
Improvement works were being planned at Brough Pier and at St John’s Pool. The CC would be interested to hear about the projects.
 Action Chris Hobson to arrange invitations to a future                  meeting
 
Google Earth Project
Dunnet Head Education Trust had contacted the CC requesting a letter of support for the Google Earth project. More detailed information about the project was required
Action Secretary to contact Tina Irving
 
Telescope at Dunnet head.
The telescope was broken and should be removed from the site. Interpretive signs needed repairs.
Action Secretary to contact Planning and Development
 
  1. Date of next meeting and AGM
The next meeting would be held in Auckengill hall on Wednesday 13 May 2009 at 7.30.
 
 
 
                                               
 

 

 

Click for Map WikanikoWork from Home
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement