Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish

October 2008

Minutes of the Dunnet and Canisbay Community Council meeting held in Dunnet hall on Wednesday 16 October 2008 at 7.30pm.
 
Members Present                                                                                               
John Green – Chair                                                  
Chris Hobson - Vice Chair                                        
Irene Hendrie – Secretary                                        
Keith Muir – Treasurer
 
Apologies
Eric Green      
Wullie Sinclair                                    
Alex Macmanus
                                                                                               
David Flear - Cllr, in attendance
 
Present
Will Menzies   
Anna Swanson
George Malcolm
 
 
  1. John Green welcomed everyone to the meeting and advised that minutes would be published on the internet
 
  1. Minutes of the last meeting were amended and adopted Proposed Keith Muir       Seconded Chris Hobson
  2. Matters arising form the minutes
SNH had acknowledged receipt of our letter and would respond in due course. Andrew Thin had visited Caithness since our last meeting. He had given assurances that the proposed Special Protection Extension would not hamper marine energy development and that a) there would be no representation made to government until a scientific survey was completed b) there would be liaison with other government departments and c) quarterly liaison with Leslie Cranna. He agreed there was no evidence to determine the size and shape of the proposed new areas such as the box which included Strom and these could be altered. Although marine power had been highlighted other activity such as fishing, ferry traffic and tourism could potentially be affected.
 
  1. Treasurers Report
The balance at the bank was £2,966.97. The members agreed to continue to bank its funds with the Clydesdale bank. Forms were completed for setting up internet banking. The account were circulated and agreed by the members present. They would be submitted to Highland Council after auditing.
 
  1. Gate at St Johns Point
David Barclay Access Officer was dealing with this and we would await his advice.
 
  1. Dunnet Beach Clean
David Flear suggested that an application to the Dounreay Communities Fund should be submitted for next years clean. The fund was reluctant to give repeat support to activities that would require funding on an ongoing basis. The community council could look at alternative sources of funding for environmental projects.
 
  1. Marine Power and John O Groats developments
Roy Kirk had attended the Ward Forum and given an update on both projects. It was of concern to all present that there appeared to be very little progress on the John O Groats development and no response from Roy Kirk to a previous letter. 
Action Secretary to write to Roy Kirk requesting a reply to points raised in earlier correspondence
  1. John O Groats to Sannick path
The access forum had visited the footpath which was badly eroded near John O Groats. The community council might wish to undertake improvements to the path, obtain design options, source funding etc. The first step would be to obtain a suitable design and estimate of the cost. 
  1. Planning – Durran Wind Farm
David Flear took no part in the discussion. A public meeting organised by residents in Dunnet had been well attended and there was strong opposition to the application. The community council was criticised for not representing the views of Dunnet resident although it had arranged its October meeting specifically for that purpose and had offered in September to make representations on residents’ behalf as it had done previously for the Spittal Hill development. There had been no opportunity for the Durran or Spittal development to be included in the postal ballot carried out for Stroupster. It was funded by nPower Renewables who would not have agreed to the inclusion of other developments for obvious reasons. 
Action Secretary to write to Gordon Mooney to highlight the strong opposition to the development
 
  1. Any other business
Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005
David Inglis, Licensing Standards Officer had been recently appointed and offered to attend a meeting to discuss his role and answer any questions regarding the Act. This would be very useful for village halls and voluntary organisations requiring a licence.
Action Secretary to arrange a meeting in the community
 
  1. Date of next meeting and AGM
The next meeting would be the AGM. It would be held in Mey Hotel on Wednesday 12 November at 7.30.

Click for Map
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement